Sunday, October 2, 2011

Baby it's not so cold outside!

I've talked a couple times about my love of fall, and although it's technically here, the weather thinks otherwise.  So what do I do?  Crank up the A/C and make chili.  I know people, it's not so eco friendly, but I really needed this pick me up :-)

There are a 100,000 chili recipes out there, so deciding on one is truly a difficult task.  My mom always just bought the chili seasoning packets, but that goes against my "scratch" philosophy of cooking so my search ensued.  Here is what I came up with for today, I kind of combined three different recipes, as each of them had things that looked particularly good to me.  This chili is really rich, with a nice heat level that warms you up without burning off your taste buds and is sort of a cross between classic and southwestern chili.

Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 1/2 pounds ground meat ( I like ground chuck)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (yellow or white preferably)
8 cloves of Garlic - minced
2 teaspoons California Chili powder
2 teaspoon New Mexico Chili powder
2 teaspoon Pasilla Chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon dried Basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
14 1/2 ounces chicken stock
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
2, 15-16 ounce cans of prepared chili beans (Pintos with jalapenos and seasoning)

1/4 cup flour or Masa Harina if you want a more southwest flavor
1/2 cup water

Directions:

Combine all of your dry seasonings in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large pot, heat your olive oil on high heat until shimmery.  Add and brown your ground beef, onion and garlic together until the beef is almost cooked through.  Add your dry seasonings and saute until fragrant.

Add all of your liquid ingredients and beans and bring to a simmer.

Cover and simmer on low heat for an hour to allow the spices to fully bloom.   Combine the flour and water and mix until no lumps remain.  Add the mixture to your chili and let simmer for another 10 minutes to allow the flour to cook through and thicken your chili.

Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips... really whatever your little heart desires.

enJoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment