Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tarragon, how have we never met before?

I hate to admit this, but for you I will...  I have never used or tasted fresh tarragon.  I consider myself a spice/herb connoisseur and I've tasted just about any spice you can think of, and some you've probably never heard of.  So to not have ever tried tarragon is really unthinkable I must say.  In my weekly grocery run this weekend, I spied it in the fresh herb section and decided that now was the time.  After all. if I'm to be a responsible foodie/food blogger, I must know this herb.

Tarragon has a light licorice like scent to it, and a unique but delicate flavor.  It suites white meats and creamy sauces very well.  I decided to properly highlight the flavor,  I would make a risotto and served it with some simple pan fried chicken breasts.  The risotto was so good on it's own, that the chicken seemed pointless.  therefore, I will give you the risotto recipe on it's own.

Spring Fresh Risotto

4 slices of bacon, chopped into 1/2" pieces
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 medium zucchini, chopped into 1/2" cubes
1 medium yellow squash, chopped into 1/2" cubes
1 cup corn kernels (preferably fresh.  I used roasted corn left over from a barbecue)
1 shallot, finely diced
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1/2 white wine
1/1/2 cups dry arborio rice (no substitute)
6 cups warm chicken broth
1 Tbs finely chopped fresh tarragon
Salt

In a large saute pan, add one tablespoon of the olive oil and the bacon.  Cook until almost crisp, but not crunchy.  Remove from pan and set aside.

Turn your pan on medium high heat and add the squash, zucchini and corn.  Cook for approximately three minutes (should still be slightly firm when bitten into). If your pan becomes too dry, add a little water and continue to saute.  Once the veggies are starting to soften, remove and set aside.

Over medium high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, and throw in the shallot and garlic.  Saute until the shallot is turning translucent.  Add the white wine and reduce by half (approximately 1/4 cup of liquid is left in the pan).  Add the dry rice and saute for 30 seconds to absorb the remaining oil in the pan.

Add the chicken stock 1 cup at a time, cooking until almost completely absorbed before making your next addition, stirring constantly.  Continue adding the broth 1 cup at a time until the rice has puffed up and become creamy looking.  Rice should be tender, but with a slight bite left to it.  Once you have reached this consistency, add the vegetables back into the rice along with the fresh tarragon and stir well to combine.  Salt to taste and remove from the heat.  If your rice has become too dry, add more liquid to it.  Your finished product should look saucy and creamy.

Serve warm, topped with the bacon bits.

enJoy!


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this tonight! It has all my favorite flavors. You're a gem Stefanie. :)

    ReplyDelete