Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm good, but not that good!

My brain is far too scattered to remember every recipe that I treasure.  While I would love to be a pure ad-hoc chef, I do have a plethora of recipes that I truly rely on, but can't possibly trust my mind to remember.  I've been procrastinating the start of this blog, because I have all of my recipes in a database that is not accessible due to my Windows 7 upgrade :-(  Once I get it sorted out, I will start in on the really serious stuff, but in the mean time I decided to share with you my appreciation for my recipe software, despite my inability to access it!


There is a decent variety of software available, but only one that I have found so far that is MAC and PC compatible.  It is called "Masterchef".  While I have heard wonderful things about it, I rely on "Living Cookbook".  I may try Masterchef at some point, but for now, what I have is more than suitable for my needs.


Both of these software packages provide comparable features.  They have a method of importing your favorite recipes from recipe sites across the web, as well as manual entry.  They have sections in each recipe for nutrition information (which is calculated based on the ingredients you list and the serving sizes you provide).  There is a feature to attach a photograph of the recipes if you desire, and many more amazing features, such as shopping lists. inventory tracking etc. You can also print, email and publish your recipes one at a time, or in a complete book.  


I have created two cookbooks (folders if you will) within my database.  One for tried and true recipes that I know are successful every time I make them, and one for recipes that await my testing at some point in the future.  This gives me the insurance that I will never forget which recipes I LOVE and which recipes I would love to try.


All this said, if you are a serious cook and want a good way to keep track of your favorite recipes, I would encourage you to get a recipe database software.  While I love my grandmothers hand written recipe cards, they become more and more difficult to read over the years.  Stained with food remnants and liquid splatters, which show the love of a recipe, I fear they will be lost for lack of readability over time.  Thus I employ modern technology to assist me in retaining these wonderful treasures for generations to come.


P.S. If those hand written cards are a true treasure, why not scan them up and attach them to the recipe within your database.  Then you will truly have them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment